Sunday, June 1, 2014

100 Minutes- My thoughts on "Reading Around the Literacy Block"


Thanks to Kelly over at An Apple for the Teacher for doing such a great job hosting Chapter 3!

I am amazed (and grateful) for the number of page views the book study posts are getting so far.

Thank you all for joining along.

I hope people are getting something out of the book, reading our posts and the comments shared by others. 

As Lisa points out in this chapter, talking about a text is SO important! 

Please leave a comment, make a suggestion, email us, leave a question for Lisa...

Let's talk together!!

This is your book study too and I want to do everything I can to make is a successful learning experience for everyone involved.




Okay, now for my thoughts on Chapter 3- 
Reading Around the Literacy Block

A lot of what I read in this chapter felt like a lovely refresher course. So many times I found myself saying, "Yes, yes, yes...oh I do that. Oh good...I do that too!"

It was nice to see a reflection of my own practices and feel like a lot of what I am doing with my students is good stuff.

One of my goals is to consistently read aloud to my students. 
Looking back it was close to every day but not always.
Everyday is my goal.

I loved the section on modelled reading and whole-class lessons because I think that often whole-class lesson get a bad reputation with all the talk about guided lessons, small group lessons, one-on-one conferences...
when there are a lot of times that whole group lessons can be a great thing. 

I'm really glad that Lisa addressed this in her book.

Lisa outlines 7 elements that are important to all areas of literacy instruction on pages 40- 41. They are so spot on and important that I want to keep a copy of these in a checklist form in my planning binder. 

Hmmmm...perhaps I see a freebie in my future?

As I read through page 41 I found myself numbering the steps that can be taken to move students through the literacy block- from whole-class modelling, extending into guided reading, assigning a reading response and applying learning to their independent reading.
I have found myself think about how I can adapt this into my existing "Book of the Week" framework AND how I can rename my Book of the Week framework. 
We don't only read books after all, as Lisa points out a wide variety of texts can be used during whole class lessons. 

I don't know about you all, but I love reading about the reading strategies...and I can't even explain why. 

Perhaps it's because I have so many great memories of the "aha" moments when a student uses a reading strategy that they had previously been struggling with. Or when I am talking with my young daughter, who is only three years old, and she naturally uses a strategy to discuss a book we've read together.

There's just something magical about reading strategies.

Sigh.

Overall I found this chapter to be a rewarding read because so much of it was similar to my own current teaching...whew!
Doing something right.
LOL

Well, I should be comfortable making some adjustments to my current teaching style in order to use the 100 Minutes framework, it won't feel like something wholly different and foreign. 

A new idea that I love can be found on pages 46-47 where Lisa talk about "developing a talk-centred classroom"- something that I a huge believer in. I have discussed success criteria with my students for talk partners, we've written procedures for how to move from their desks to the carpet and begin a discussion or how to start a discussion once they are already on the carpet...but I've never thought of creating a visual representation of this  or having the students role play the "yes" and "no" sides.
Genius!

Plus how cute would it be to use Lisa's suggestion and take pictures?
Love it.

Lastly, Lisa gives a few examples of websites (pg 50-51) that can be used to find media texts for use during whole-class lessons, guided lessons and independent activities.

I am very excited to check out these websites and see what they have to offer.
I want to know more, or learn more about classes who use twitter or email to post student work/thoughts...I'm not going to lie, it makes me nervous.

Does anyone out there use twitter with their students?
How does it work?
So much to think about. 


Please join the discussion.
Link up with your thoughts about Chapter 3 using the linky below.


If possible, leave a comment for the bloggers before and after you.



Next up- Chapter 4- Reading Response

Be sure to head over to visit Jen from Teaching, Life and Everything In Between on June 4th to check out her post.

Don't forget, if you have any questions for Lisa click here to send them to me so I can send them on to her!


There are a few guidelines that Lisa Donohue and her publisher have asked that people follow.

Please read through these carefully. 

Guidelines

- Anything created for 100 MINUTES should be shared for free. 

- Anything created and shared based on 100 MINUTES should include a disclosure statement ~ Adapted from 100 MINUTES and not endorsed by Lisa Donohue.  

- Cite the complete publication information:  "100 MINUTES, (2012), Donohue Lisa, Pembroke Publishers" in order to make it easier for others to find the book.








2 Brilliant Teaching Thoughts:

Kelly said...

I love the idea of adding that checklist to the planning binder. I have quite a few things I will be adding from this book as well.

Amol said...

Brillient idea............

Post a Comment

Hello!!
Thank you taking the time to leave a comment.
I truly appreciate it.
Beth

 
Pin It button on image hover