Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Book Whisperer Read Along- Year End Evaluations and Chapter 7

I know, I know...I am super late posting my thoughts but it has taken me a few days to decompress and get back into the swing of things after 2 weeks at the cottage. Poor, poor me...too stressed after two weeks away! LOL, just kidding. I don't really have any real important reason for not posting other than laziness, tiredness and wanting to play with my baby.

I have however been browsing around the blogosphere and I see that many people are still joining in on this awesome read along and that my posts seem to have all worked properly..yeah!

First, my thoughts on year end evaluations- well, to be honest I haven't really ever used them since Teacher's College when I would use them at the end of my practicum but I can see the benefit they could provide in a classroom. I am a very reflective teacher, and person, by nature and so I am constantly thinking about how I can improve my program but it would be great to see things from a student's perspective as well. I think this will be a topic I revisit in June for sure.

And now...Chapter 7! I must admit I am a little sad that we have reached the end of The Book Whisperer. Reading this book, sharing my thoughts and reading through the thoughts of all of you has been a tremendous learning experience that I have really treasured this summer. I am also sad because the end of the read along means that we are that much closer to the end of the summer (much closer for some of you I know!), and the end of my maternity leave at home with my baby darling. I am choosing to return to work in September after only 8 months at home and my husband will be taking over for the last 4 months with the baby. I know returning to work in the right choice for me but as it gets closer I can't help but get a little misty every time I think about being away from my baby everyday. But really, this has nothing to do with Chapter 7....

 For me I think the best part of this chapter was the section titled What Are We Preparing Students For? It's really the most important question of all I think. This is the question that should guide all of our teaching, regardless of grade level, subject, etc. What do we want our students to be prepared to handle in the future?

I want my students to be able to make decisions, problem solve, understand the world around them, to interact with others in an intellectual way, to question the wrongs of the world, to find a way to make the world a better place, to give back, to right social injustices, to go to a book store or a library and be excited, to read the paper, or the internet, or books, or graphic novels, or whatever they want. I want them to be able to handle anything life throws at them, to be able to pursue their academic and occupational dreams. I want them to be able to voice their opinion on matters that are important to them and to the world. I want them to read.

I am excited to go back to work and put everything I have learned from this read along in place. I am excited to be part of a learning community again and most of all I am excited for the years to come when I can help daughter to become a reader.


0 Brilliant Teaching Thoughts:

Post a Comment

Hello!!
Thank you taking the time to leave a comment.
I truly appreciate it.
Beth

 
Pin It button on image hover