Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Favourite Books- Linky Party

Mrs Runde is having a linky party about our favourite books...and is there a better topic as we read through The Book Whisperer?? I think not!

Childhood Favourites:


Anne of Green Gables
Little Women
Little House on the Prairie
The Secret Garden
Sarah Plain and Tall
- is it any wonder that historical fiction became my favourite genre?


Classroom Favourites:


The Hunger Games (trilogy)- I recommend this book to any reader in Grade 7 or 8...try giving it to a "reluctant" or dormant readers as Donalyn Miller terms them, it will grab their attention
The Outsiders- LOVED teaching this in Grade 7, the only book I would still consider doing a whole class novel with
The Lorax
The Straight Line Wonder
Odd Violet
Voices in the Park
Charlotte's Web
Henry's Freedom Box




Reading to My Own Children Favourites:


Yeah! I have a baby so I can answer for this category!
Dr. Suess' ABC (I pretty much have it memorized)
Guess How Much I Love You
Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
Richard Scary's ANYTHING


Professional Favourites:


When Kids Can't Read by Kylene Beers (My teaching bible)
Teaching Readers and Writers by Fountas and Pinell
The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller
The Daily 5 and CAFE Assessment by "The Sisters"




Guilty Pleasures:


Harry Potter Series
The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon
- anything by Conn Igglund, Phillippa Gregory, Anne Easter Smith
The Lord of the Rings (trilogy)


To be completely honest I will read pretty much anything!




4 Brilliant Teaching Thoughts:

Runde's Room said...

Thanks for linking up! We have many of the same favourites! I love using Henry's Freedom Box during my social injustice unit.

Clutter-Free Classroom said...

Good Morning Beth,

I read your comment and would be honored if you linked to my genre post. Thanks for thinking of me. Have a great Sunday.


❤Jodi from...
★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
Helping Teachers Get Organized

Runde's Room said...

I'd like to send you your "loot bag" for linking up, but I can't find your email. If you email me at jenrunde(at)yahoo(dot)com, I'll send it out to you.

Beverley Baird said...

Love your choices - we share many of the same favourites! My list is growing for some new favourites to look into!

Post a Comment

Hello!!
Thank you taking the time to leave a comment.
I truly appreciate it.
Beth

 
Pin It button on image hover